The author of The Blue Zones: 9 Power Lessons for Living Longer from the People Who’ve Lived the Longest shares 9 secrets of longevity:
• Move naturally. “Do your own house and yard work, go up and down your stairs with your laundry, knead your own dough “Incorporate more movement every hour.”
• Know your purpose. “Take time to recognize your values, strengths, talents, passions and gifts.” Reflect, and work on yourself.
• Down shift. Relieve chronic stress by finding time each day to nap, meditate or pray.
• The 80% rule. Cut 20 percent of your daily calories with proven healthy practices: eat a big breakfast, dine with your family, and begin each meal by expressing appreciation.
• Plant slant. Eat mostly plant-based foods, and small portions of meat no more than twice a week.
• Wine at 5. Drinkers live longer than non-drinkers.
• Family first. Living in a loving, thriving family can add up to six years to your life. Work on a positive, committed relationship and stay close to your aging parents and grandparents.
• Belong.“Those with the most social connectedness tend to live longer,” Be part of a group of healthy-minded, supportive people.
• Right tribe. Good friends have a positive effect on your longevity. Support them and adopt healthy behaviors together.